Saturday 25 October 2008

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe


I remember quite well the first time I saw an image of a Holocaust extermination camp on an encyclopaedia. I was a 12 year old teenager and I was shocked beyond words. I couldn’t understand how Men could do this to other Men. And after all these years I still can’t.

The holocaust is usually defined as the genocide of approximately 6 million Jews and other groups during World War II. These were not war casualties. These deaths were the result of an intentional Nazi extermination programme, carried out in cold accuracy.

The card above shows a tribute to the victims. It was sent by zimtschnecke and it shows the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, located in Berlin, Germany. It was designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold. It has an uneasy, confusing atmosphere about it and its goal was to portrait a supposedly ordered system without human reason. The memorial was built between 2003 and 2004.
Source: Wikipédia.

1 comment:

  1. Like a real World War II historian, this is one of the places I want ti visit, among with Auschwitz. My dear friend, I hope that you come with me in this trip.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
Esta obra está licenciada sob uma Licença Creative Commons.