Wednesday 29 October 2008

Holy City of Mashad


When I received this wonderful card in the mail, sent by ipuenktchen, from Iran, I was thrilled. Never, in my wildest dreams (especially before I joined Postcrossing), had I though I would get a postcard from Iran. But there it was, this amazing postcard of the Holy City of Mashad, the second largest city in Iran and one of the holiest cities in Shia Islam.

Here is located the Imam Reza Shrine, as shown in the postcard. This shrine contains the mausoleum of Imam Ridha, the eighth Imam of Twelvers. During its existence, since the 9th century, it has been destroyed and reconstructed several times. It is a place of pilgrimage in the Muslim World.

Source: Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Esta obra está licenciada sob uma Licença Creative Commons.