Friday 24 October 2008

Leander's Tower


When I received an envelope full of cards sent by ctrekoza from Turkey, I wasn’t the only one excited. Everyone in my house was exhilarated! They were surprised that I had received cards from such an exotic country. I told them that is the beauty of Postcrossing!

I liked all of them, but this one is my favourite. It shows Leander’s Tower, also known as Maiden’s Tower, located in a small island in Istanbul. It was built in 408 BC by Alcibiades, an Athenian General, to control the Persian movements in the Bosphorus strait. After that, and for many centuries, it was used as a lighthouse and nowadays it’s a restaurant and a café.

There are many legends associated with the Tower and they are all beautiful.

Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. This previous lighthouse, build in a small island, is fantastic. I loved the picture, the lighthouse, the twilight!!

    Francisco (in Lisboa, Portugal)

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
Esta obra está licenciada sob uma Licença Creative Commons.